Sunday, January 11, 2004

Flat Panel Monitor Goodness


Just got my hands on the first flat panel monitor. The Mag LT776s flat panel monitor which to begin with seems nice.

Having always used CRT's up to now to do everything, the only lcd I had bothered with was on a laptop or two, and the Axim, but that was just too small to do much with...

You hear the thing about flat panels being sexier, but also about the screen itself not being as crisp as it should be. I hooked it up to an HP ZE4560us laptop to see the comparison. At first glance, the laptop still had it beat, although the colors on the Mag monitor were really true to what they should be. I'm color blind, but even I know what white is, and it is NOT the urine-yellow, of the laptop display on batteries.

The one thing that really hit me first off was the amount of space I had around me. Even with the monitor sharing a space with the laptop, there was acres more than the neighboring full tower desktop with 17" CRT. I am thinking I need to get a panel of my own, so I can mount it permenantly on the wall behind the desk here, so I can save myself endless trudging back and forth, getting old CRT's to hook up to what ever ailing PC is in my clinic at the time.

Puffy clouded imagination scene.....
Monitor mounted on the wall, and nothing on the desk except for a mouse and keyboard, hmmmm. My lifetime dream is to leave nothing at all on the desk. I have things amazingly sparse as it is, but this would advance the cause YEARS.

So I think it's time to move one of the monitors here and see what a couple of days use has in store. Games tend to get a little blurry and fine details suffer, but for general day to day processing, it's looking good!

Did I mention it has built in speakers? No, well, AHEM! It also has built in speakers. But they suck, although again, for a working enviroment of tumbling $5 speakers, and wire hell, it would be great.

Anyway, when I have had time to play with it, I will let you know if it is any use in the real world.



Mag LT776s, nice and trim.


CRT - Cathode Ray Tube
LCD - Liquid Crystal Display
Flat Panel Monitor - Same as LCD but for people with more money than God.
Second monitor on a laptop - Just plug a normal desktop monitor, into the monitor socket on the back of your laptop, and switch on.

No comments: