Friday, November 07, 2003

Blame...

Heard a new one on me and a few other people, recently..... met someone who claimed to do all their word processing in Microsoft Excel! No I hadn't ever heard of that either. It turns out they do it this way as they used Excel in an office a long time ago, and had to use it for their documents also, because they had no alternative at the time. What's wrong with Notepad I ask you?. So in the end, they trained themselves to use Excel. I had no idea that a piece they had written was indeed done on Excel and not a word processor. So I asked them to show me, and now I know why I have only ever heard of ONE person that does this. Not to say of course, that there are not MORE people out there doing it, just not that MANY more.


Excel, not for writing


Anyway, here is a list of what I can remember as excuses as to why something on a computer is not working...

1. I am not used to this mouse/keyboard
2. It doesn't look like mine at home
3. Well, usually when I do that, it works
4. I'm tired
5. I'm hot
6. I'm hungry
7. I USED to know how to do this
8. I did it, but it's not there now??
9. My kids usually show me/I have someone do this for me
10. I DID do it!
11. This computer is not working because something's wrong with this chair.
12. I already clicked it a million times
13. Oh, you never told me THAT!
14. No, I don't need to write down my password, OF COURSE I'll remember that!! Which is usually followed by...
15. I DID my put password in, it must be something else.
16. I'm stupid.
17. You're supposed to be helping me.

And all of these are genuine.. as I was the one smiling plastically while hearing stories handed down through generations of eager newbies, who seem to have all passed my way before!

No comments: