Sunday, November 28, 2004

It's getting to THAT time of year.... sadly enough..


Since getting Tivo, I realised how much the television kept me informed of simpler things than current events, or politics etc. It kept me in tune with the generally accepted time line, you know like Christmas, spring, easter, halloween and others. I am certainly not a television person. I do not have one of those regular habits, of coming home, throwing down the bowler hat and briefcase, and sitting slack jawed at the television watching everythin and anything. I never was that way, and with the Tivo you can watch it when YOU want, not have to take what ever comes along.

Anyway...

I only recently discovered a thing in America called 'Black Friday' which is apparently the day after Thanksgiving, when everyone goes shopping! Sort of like Boxing Day is, back in the homeland.

Nearing the point....

On a visit to Best Buy, got through to the checkout and was informed by a young lady that she had been there since 4am that morning (it was now after 7pm) getting ready for the massive rush of Black Friday. They had even gone as far as getting lots of coffee and doughnuts for people to have if they had missed breakfast! I guess that Best Buy know how to keep people UP and spending, even if it was a sugar rush induced credit card bender!

I am sure you know what I am going to say, so to feel superior about yourself and PROVE it too, here goes..

She said that she was amazed by the amount of people that complained, after getting a free breakfast in the store, that the doughnuts were not good enough/the coffee tasted funny/why could they not take some home with them, and general cheeky whining about something they had no idea would be there, and cost them nothing at all. Now I would expect there is always someone who will moan no matter what they have put in front of them, and the girl expected it. What surprised her was that it was around 95% of the people that came in and had some of what was on offer! At that moment, I was reminded of what was to come as Christmas gets closer. Sad stuff

I always like to be cheerful to the people in a store, or anywhere for that matter, as it makes a return trip a good thing, plus it just makes your day a happier thing all around! People seem to react better to a smile and a happy conversation, or is it just me?



I am sure the rude people in this instance all use AOL, drive SUV's and wouldn't know how to work a Tivo. They certainly would never have found this post as they think AOL IS the internet!?!? So how superior do you feel now?

No comments: