Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Google browser sync, for Firefox


Google, have a rather groovy tool that lets you use Firefox at multiple computers, with all your history and sessions intact.

So what this means is you can use Firefox on your desktop, and when you use your laptop, or just any other computer anywhere else, it will pick up from where you last left off.

You need Firefox, and a Google account. Once the extension is installed, you sign into your Google account then set up what it is you want to carry over to other computers. The first time on each machine takes a few moments to get the data to Googles servers. Then each time you start Firefox, you get the option of continuing on from your last page or pages, with tabs, and even seperate instances of Firefox running, if thats how you left it.

One thing I found, was that while I was sitting at two machines I had set up, one of them told me I had been logged on elsewhere. Which if you're concerned with privacy issues is a good warning that someone else may be accessing your individual computer account, while they think you are not around!

For me this extension is perfect, as often I am looking up information for other hardware, or people. I don't have to remember where I got it, and go through it all again. So now I can research it once, and when I get to the point where I need the data, simply go through my history, or bookmarks, where ever I am. When I am not at mission control I am usually hurtling through my day, so digging around badly designed support sections of websites, or trying to remember was it a x200i or an x200ip, is hopefully over. Also if I can instantly bring up driver pages for hardware I know I only have 20 minutes at. This makes finding the RIGHT one much less hassle.

Oh and if you are wondering what extensions for Firefox are, look at this.


Thanks Google, I like it.

No comments: