Saturday, May 24, 2003

Todays lucky lookalikes are, Michael Winner and Whoppie Goldberg

Microsoft are apparently going to stop issuing bug fixes and patches for Win98, Win95, and WinNT in November. That's going to be more than a little awkward for those on a budget come this Christmas. Plopping WinXP on an old machine will be quite a headache for most people with their aging PC's. See if you are one of those beardy weirdies, who insist that Win 3.1 is still much better for you...

I have an older PC (as well as a nice new one) which is going to be an interesting exercise, getting it up to speed. The real problem is that for a good chunk of the public, these computers run perfectly well. They don't change the hardware and keep the drivers up to date. However, you take away the operating system and you pretty much have to think about all those buried bits of computeryness you usually are in a comfortable compliance with. Those built in obscure soundcard, lan, or modem drivers, that you never had to mess with, as they worked well. (All sort of checked shirt, and home grown goodness, while constructing your own log cabin, with expensive but reliable hand tools). A whole heap of trouble awaiting the budget cyberscaper. Shame.... a dark time in the computing timeline...

Strangely enough, after my brother made the worlds shortest appearance on a radio show, I did my bit for the good of listener kind. I was wondering around a rather weird bit of There.com and while trawling for abandoned vehicles to spray over the newbies (all desperate to do the motion thing, but unable to as they spent it all on a shirt and shoes, then found the exchange rate was extortionate) in the hoverpark. A young (ignore the age thing, as everyone in there looks fresh from the womb) woman, spiralled down from the heavens, and splished into my dank, stinky trench I was doggedly searching for crappy old cars etc. She rung out her clothing, and climbed into my purple Barbie buggy (it's not really a Barbie one, but if you saw it, you would see why I call it that). So I abandoned the abandoned search, with abandon (come on you KNEW I was going to put it that way:) and proceeded to push the old girl (the buggy not the fallen avatar) up the sheer sides of the moat. Yes, moat.

To get to the point, before I loose it all together, she was Saria who was A DJ FOR WAY OUT THERE RADIO!!! Which I only discovered, as she said she kept having to leave the conversation in the buggy to attend to something elsewhere. So as soon as I found out, I pleaded for a mention on air. Which I got.....so in the end, we ended up at the hoverpark with thousands of people all dancing around in front of a huge sign, while I gave away the vehicles I had found as prizes. We er... rocked dude!

Oh and I fibbed just a little bit, as the crowd actually swelled to four people, not the thousands I may have possibly hinted at in the earlier paragraphs...

No comments: