Tuesday, August 12, 2003

Linux

Just put Linux on an older machine that should be due WinXP upgrade from Win98, at the end of the year, when Win98 becomes officially un-cool to be seen with. I cheated by putting a version of it that runs straight from the CD, and doesn't mess with your currently installed operating system.

It was fairly painless, just grab the ISO image, burn it to a CD and then reboot your precious machine, making sure that it is set to boot from the CD first.

Being inside Linux was fairly familiar, mousey-clickey, pointy-windowey kind of vibe. To me (being a product of the graphical demos of yesteryear) it was like being in some strange dream like version of Windows, where everything was just more er.... sort of...um er.. well, like you would WANT it to be, instead of how it simply 'is'.

Still with me so far?

I will return to this as soon as I figure anything out about it.... but there is plenty of help out there...... somewhere...

I am not going to go all technical on my readership, for three good reasons..
i. I would not go near too many pages that made reference to Linux on them (until now that is)
ii. I am probably going to find the extremely simple parts that people never think to explain to people, is going to be left out of my Linux adventure, so I will have to document them here.
iii. Only about three people probably read this, and those I KNOW read it, would not be the remotest bit interested in Linux anyway. But it is FREE, aha... did that catch your eyes chaps?
iv. I like to write about people and life mostly, NOT about Linux (yes I know that's FOUR reasons, but it is MY page, and I have Linux now)
v. I got the power.....du du nurrrrrr ni ni ni ni.... du du nurrrrr ni ni ni ni (you know, the screamy female vocal cliché?)

And for those of you that only hit this page for the links, here is one just for you... NOT LINUX

No comments: