Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Getting Tivo in Canada



I found out today from LillyWonker that Tivo service is not available in Canada! How can this be allowed to happen?

So after a swift visit to the Tivo Forums, it seems there is a Yahoo group, which details how this can be done. Normally with this much messing about and some real world legal issues, I would say that it wasn't worth it. However, after using the Tivo service myself (all legally in America) I would reccomend that any Canadians watching give it a whirl at least!

The basics appear to be;
Series one Tivo
An American billing address
A Tivo unit purchased in the United States
DirectTV service (to obtain the programming itself)
And I did not get as far as finding out if you had to use a US telephone number (because the thing has to call home sometimes). Unless one wanted to use just the basic service, which would be oodles better than none at all!

If by any small chance anyone tries, let me know. I would be very interested to know how you fared, and just what are the details.

The Yahoo Group on the subject seems very secure in that you have to supply proof of Canadian residency, by IP and other assorted worrying details.



Tivo CAN happen in Canada

No comments: