Monday, April 05, 2004

Ati Radeon 9600 XT


Ok so after the monitor I was not exactly in a position to get another high end piece of kit, so I opted for the ATI Radeon 9600 XT, which has come down from the stratospheric price, to a range mere humans can comprehend. So I popped it into my baby and set to work with it.

Using 3DMark 2001 and 2003, I finally got to see all the demos, as this card has what it needs in it, to be able to run them all. You can go to FutureMark and see other numbers, and so all I have to say is that my original Nvidia 440MX was giving me numbers around 50fps, and the new card in excess of 200fps



Where's my tissues, I seem to have gotten a little over excited!

FPS = Frames Per Second. A term used in gaming circles to (hopefully) ensure a smooth look to a game, so there is less time moaning that something appeared out of nowhere due to lag on screen, and more time just watching the smooth arc of death smokily coming straight for you. The higher the number, the smoother the game is. Anything above 30 is nice enough to play any game.

No comments: